Thursday, April 10, 2003

OK. I'm feeling much better now. I just watched this little Kikkoman figh song (thank you Dave Barry) and it made me laugh out loud. Fight!Kikkoman I always knew that the real world was surreal, but there's always some new strangeness out there to find.

It's good to be back after being gone for a month. So much for Lenten discipline. It's amazing how just when you think you've got everything under control, something--small or large--comes along to blow everything out of whack. And no, I'm now talking about the war in Iraq, though that would certainly do it all by itself.
In my case, the world whacker is a more personal tragedy--a car accident that killed my uncle and injured my aunt. I'm still processing it, as I'm sure I will be for a long time. How do you come to terms with these sudden, irrevocable life changes? You want to do it a little at a time, and for those around the edges--like me and my immediate family--you can. But for people deeply in the center like my aunt and her children, you don't have that luxury. All you can do some days is just keep breathing, keep living and let life find it's new path.

I just don't want to hear another person say "It makes you think." one more time. If it takes a tragedy like this to make you understand the fragility of life then your life is probably wasted on trivialities. How many tragedies do you have to see around you to understand that. Each moment, each person, is a gift not to be taken for granted. That IS the point.

Oh well. Enough. I'm ranting now so I think I will just shut up for today.

No comments: