Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Finding a Rhythm
OK, so I guess I'm starting to settle in the new job. I love this church, and everyone is really nice, although I sense a certain reluctance to really warm up. I hope it's just a reaction to past history and not me. I'm still struggling to find a rhythm for my week. I know that's the key, and I also know that predictability is often just a fleeting mirage in the life of a pastor, but I still try.

I've made just getting the sermon and pulling the worship service together my main priority for the week. My theory is that once I can get comfortable with that, I can add more activities. I mean, writing the sermon every week has to get easier, or at least quicker, right? Or maybe it just seems easier when you've had a chance to get to know you're congregation, right?

Oh well, in a sink or swim situation, I guess you just keep paddling. Ducks rule!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Preaching regularly definitely DOES get easier. It's a practice, and you will become accustomed to it. Once you do, it sometimes raises all the way up to feeling like a gift!