Saturday, March 08, 2003

Ranting about Revelations
OK. Step back from the screen, just in case lightning strikes or something. But, I have to say this. I am sick to death with this fascination with the Book of Revelations. I don't have any desire to study Revelations. I don't want to teach it to my kids. I DON'T REALLY CARE. And I don't see why anyone else does either.
That said, let me elaborate. It increasingly seems to me that all this fascination with Revelations, Daniel, all the other end-times prophecies is a nothing more that a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME! Isn't it hard enough to live the parts of the Bible you understand without spending all that energy on things that are a) not understandable b) you couldn't influence even if you did understand it and c) are not likely to impact you life. Shouldn't that effort go into living simply, showing compassion, noticing and valuing every single person you come in contact with? Isn't that hard enough. I have yet to meet anyone who can live up to the commands to love God and love your neighbor. Why waste you focus on what the mark of the beast will look like? I just don't understand the fascination.
It seems most to me like a convenient diversion. As long as I'm putting all my time and attention on the end times, I don't really have to worry about my day-to-day life. I mean, who has the time? I can still be righteously spending all my time in Bible study without actually hving to do through the discomfort of living in accordance with the Scriptures. Who has time to care for your neighbors when they are on their way to heaven tomorrow?
It just drives me crazy when I read about yet another "great study on Revelation." Who out there even lives the Beatitudes well enough that they should be moving on to the really mysterious stuff?
Reading back, I realize that this sounds really shrill and hateful. Once again, I'm overstating my case. What I really want to say is that the realy challenge of Christian life is living the life, today. Putting all your effort and attention into the future seems all too often to be just anouthe way of avoiding the call. And this is an especially insidious diversion because it has the extra twist of appearing like true devotion while still allowing you to avoid the pain of truly chaning.
Walk the walk today, and let the end times take care of themselves.

No comments: