Friday, August 08, 2008

Still settling in

Even though I've been here two months today, I still feel like I'm settling in and searching for a rhythm. And at the back of my head, there's alittle voice that keeps singing, "Don't get too settled, school starts in less than a month and you'll have to do it all over again." Then it says, "Remember, the rhythm of the church is a yearly cycle, the weekly cycle is only part of it, and it always varies depending are when you are in the year." Such complexity.

But, I have learned a few things. I don't work well at home, except under extreme pressure (like writing sermons on Saturday), but I'm still struggling to feel home enough in my office so that I can be truly creative there. i know it will come, and the more of my 'stuff' expecially worship resources and books that I bring in, the quicker it will come to feel like 'my place.' At least for as long as I am here, which I sincerely hope will be a while. Actually, getting the filing cabinet helped a lot and when I get my own bookshelf and the ability to hook my laptop up to the internet, I think I'll start to feel right at home., maybe some curtains or a few more fabrics to soften some of the edges and bring in some color. Truth is, are we ever really finished with the whole nesting thing?

I think I've figured out what was causing my knitting slump. I've been away from the lace too long. I really need a lace project going most of the time. I don't know why I love it so much, I just do. I have signed up for Mystery Stole 4, but that won't start until September, so I may have to start something else in the mean time. This church doesn't have a lot to work with in terms of decorative supplies, so I'm actually toying with the idea of some lace altar cloths or just accent pieces to help dress things up, at least for communion and other special times. What do you all think? Has anyone ever done anything like this?

No comments: